Michael G. DeHaven
A partner of the firm, Michael DeHaven is an attorney with over a quarter century of litigation experience. Although Mike has handled many different types of cases throughout the years, he has developed a passion for family law. Each phase of his career path has helped him to become a well rounded family law practitioner who is not afraid to go to court when necessary. As an Assistant State’s Attorney for Baltimore County, Mike tried hundreds of court trials and dozens of jury trials, including several murders. When Mike entered private practice, he initially represented members of the Maryland State Teachers Association in civil and criminal matters, many of whom had been falsely accused of child abuse. As a partner in the law firm of Bodie, Nagle, Dolina, Smith & Hobbs, Mike represented corporations in multimillion dollar product and premises liability cases and although he continued gaining litigation experience, he learned the art of negotiation.
While at Bodie, Mike transitioned to family law because he wanted to focus his practice on helping people through the often traumatic experience of divorce. In 2011, Mike and Michael Paul Smith, who is not only his law partner but good friend, left Bodie. They merged their practices with a few other good friends and great lawyers to form Smith, Gildea & Schmidt.
Mike’s philosophy in family law matters is simple: a divorcing couple should make every effort to decide what is in the best interest of their child and how to equitably distribute their property. He understands the emotional and financial impact that protracted litigation (especially divorce litigation) can have on a client. Thus, he always tries to negotiate a fair and amicable resolution of family law matters. Mike understands that the parties and their lawyers in a divorce case must focus on the big picture and negotiate in good faith to reach a compromise. Mike always adopts this approach. But, if the opposing party or attorney is unreasonable, he relies upon his vast courtroom experience to zealously advocate for his clients.
Mike is a graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law and Frostburg State University, where he served in the Student Government Association, was President of the Rugby Club and was Social Chairman of the Kappa Zeta Chi athletic fraternity. Mike is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association (Family & Juvenile Law Section), the Baltimore County Bar Association and the Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys Association. He is active in several community organizations, including the Martin J. Smith Foundation, which awards scholarships to local high school students, as a member of the Board of Directors; the Carroll Manor Recreation Council, where he has coached and served as Commissioner of the soccer and basketball programs and has been on the baseball Board of Directors; the Greater Jacksonville Association; and Immaculate Conception Parish.
In the News:
- Michael G. DeHaven has been asked by the Family Law Committee of the BCBA to give a presentation on how to get electronically stored information, such as emails, texts, web pages, etc. admitted into evidence. He has written articles on this subject published by the Daily Record and Maryland Family Law Advocate, and has presented […]Read More »
- How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out) With all of the changes surrounding social media and email, it’s critical to get up to speed on the latest rules, procedures and case law. Our family law partner, Michael DeHaven, will be teaching part of a full-day, cutting-edge course […]Read More »
- Mike DeHaven: How to admit social media posts into evidence Eric Schmidt, the Executive Chairman of Alphabet Inc. (formerly Google), has called the Internet “the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.” Although Mr. Schmidt’s observation may well exemplify the general public’s view […]Read More »
- Please join Smith, Gildea & Schmidt's Michael G. DeHaven for a comprehensive seminar on March 16, 2016. The presentation will cover the major evidentiary issues that attorneys face when trying to admit social media before the court. To register by mail: Click Here To register online, please visit: http://bcba.orgRead More »
- Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.Super Lawyers Magazine features the list and profiles of selected attorneys and is distributed to attorneys in the state […]Read More »